
Jambo!
I'm trying to pick up a few Swahili words so I'll incorporate them when I can. Mhula is teaching me new words each day so I'm getting better. I know some numbers and some greetings. I try to use them when I find it appropriate. I say asante often which means thank you.
I haven't had much news since my last post. Yesterday and today were pretty low key. Last night Mhula and I went over to Rosi's house and she cooked us supper. She has two boys in their teens so they ate with us also. We had a veggie curry and some chipote which is basically flat bread. We also had fresh fruits and veggies. Mmmm good :) One thing about the fruit I noticed is that some of the same fruits we have here are very different than in the U.S. For example, oranges here are actually green! haha We had some last night and Rosi was raving about how good and sweet they are. To me it was not so good compared to the ones at home. However, their fresh mango's win by a landslide here. I had part of one today at lunch and it was sooo good. I feel like I talk about their food a lot...so sorry if that is boring! I find it interesting to compare so hopefully you do as well.
After our meal together we talked for a long time. I was feeling pretty tired so around 10pm Mhula and I walked home. I thought for sure I would finally get a full night's rest since I haven't hardly slept at all here...but no such luck. I fell asleep for about 1 and 1/2 hours and then was WIDE awake. Mhula and our night guard were watching Swahili DVD's on the laptop so I decided to join them for awhile. The movie was subtitled so I was able to catch the gist of it but it was WAY different than American films. The movie cut right to the point for everything! For us it's like we have all this lead up to this big dramatic moment and then the movie ends and everything kind of fits together...with this it was cut and dry straight to the point. A guy has an affair, a scene later he's dead...then this other guy is working at the same place of work he finds out yada yada...it was interesting to say the least. After that I tried to go back to bed, but no such luck. Oh well.
When I decided to get out of bed around 6 this morning I thought maybe a nice shower would help me fall asleep later...I went to turn on the water...nothing! A nice little suprise. Muhala got up later and showed me how to get water from a tank outside. Then we cooked some lunch (rice and lentils and fruit) and I went over to Rosi's house for a bit to relax and watch some t.v. with her. Tonight a few of us are going to a nearby restaurant called El Rancho's. Apparently it's very good there.
Sorry if I bored you with today's post...like I said it was a pretty low key day. I did talk to Collin who works here at the school though and he invited me to church with him next week. So I'll have to tell you about that later. He is a former missionary and so I hope I can get to know him better in the next few weeks. Mhula and I are also looking forward to adding another guest to our house soon. A student teacher from France will be coming to teach h.s. French so we think he's coming tomorrow or the next day. We don't know his name yet so we call him "french guy." Apparently I was "lady" before I got to Africa because no one knew my name either :) Together in our house we are lady, french guy and Mhula. That has a nice ring. haha. Take care everyone.
Love and miss you all,
Alissa
I'm trying to pick up a few Swahili words so I'll incorporate them when I can. Mhula is teaching me new words each day so I'm getting better. I know some numbers and some greetings. I try to use them when I find it appropriate. I say asante often which means thank you.
I haven't had much news since my last post. Yesterday and today were pretty low key. Last night Mhula and I went over to Rosi's house and she cooked us supper. She has two boys in their teens so they ate with us also. We had a veggie curry and some chipote which is basically flat bread. We also had fresh fruits and veggies. Mmmm good :) One thing about the fruit I noticed is that some of the same fruits we have here are very different than in the U.S. For example, oranges here are actually green! haha We had some last night and Rosi was raving about how good and sweet they are. To me it was not so good compared to the ones at home. However, their fresh mango's win by a landslide here. I had part of one today at lunch and it was sooo good. I feel like I talk about their food a lot...so sorry if that is boring! I find it interesting to compare so hopefully you do as well.
After our meal together we talked for a long time. I was feeling pretty tired so around 10pm Mhula and I walked home. I thought for sure I would finally get a full night's rest since I haven't hardly slept at all here...but no such luck. I fell asleep for about 1 and 1/2 hours and then was WIDE awake. Mhula and our night guard were watching Swahili DVD's on the laptop so I decided to join them for awhile. The movie was subtitled so I was able to catch the gist of it but it was WAY different than American films. The movie cut right to the point for everything! For us it's like we have all this lead up to this big dramatic moment and then the movie ends and everything kind of fits together...with this it was cut and dry straight to the point. A guy has an affair, a scene later he's dead...then this other guy is working at the same place of work he finds out yada yada...it was interesting to say the least. After that I tried to go back to bed, but no such luck. Oh well.
When I decided to get out of bed around 6 this morning I thought maybe a nice shower would help me fall asleep later...I went to turn on the water...nothing! A nice little suprise. Muhala got up later and showed me how to get water from a tank outside. Then we cooked some lunch (rice and lentils and fruit) and I went over to Rosi's house for a bit to relax and watch some t.v. with her. Tonight a few of us are going to a nearby restaurant called El Rancho's. Apparently it's very good there.
Sorry if I bored you with today's post...like I said it was a pretty low key day. I did talk to Collin who works here at the school though and he invited me to church with him next week. So I'll have to tell you about that later. He is a former missionary and so I hope I can get to know him better in the next few weeks. Mhula and I are also looking forward to adding another guest to our house soon. A student teacher from France will be coming to teach h.s. French so we think he's coming tomorrow or the next day. We don't know his name yet so we call him "french guy." Apparently I was "lady" before I got to Africa because no one knew my name either :) Together in our house we are lady, french guy and Mhula. That has a nice ring. haha. Take care everyone.
Love and miss you all,
Alissa
Hey Lady!!
ReplyDeleteLooks like you have a nice room ... now if you can just do some sleeping in it! Maybe you need a nice cuddly gecko to cuddle up with ;) I should have sent some night-time aspirin along with you.
Love the posts, and look forward to talking with you again on Skype.
Hey girly!
ReplyDeleteThis all sounds like so much fun!! I can't wait to hear how things are once you start teaching!
Also, I agree with you that it is really interesting to compare everything (like food!!). Sadly, I have noticed that the food in Iowa is quite similar to that of South Dakota.
So... pretend that I am writing on the mirror...
ReplyDelete*writes on the mirror*
Yikes! Sounded VERY interesting, like you're adjusting to the time difference there. How long do you think it takes? A week or two?
You haven't mentioned how warm it is in Africa, to rub salt in our wounds here!! It's 26 degrees outside and so annoyingly cold!
Love you BIG time! :)
Chelsea :)
The temp here is pretty hot Chelsea. In the afternoons you don't want to do much of anything but the mornings and evenings cool off and are much more comfortable. Apparently I'm here during the hottest time of the year but in March it'll begin to cool off a lot I guess. I'd say the temp now is in the mid 80's but I'm guessing. Either way it beats 26 degrees! Sorry to rub salt in your wounds.
ReplyDeleteholy cow.
ReplyDeletethat is really hot.
but yet, I would appreciate the heat for an hour. I have been sleeping with space heater.
Think of me while you work in Africa... how cold your poor roommate is.
Yes. That's how you should do it. :)